Tuesday 9 March 2010

WHY DO WE NEED A CRITIC?

Are you a writer like me? Or a dancer? An artist? If you are anything with an X-factor in you, then you surely need a critic, a good, strict, intense, frank and a motivating critic!


With the world population showing no controlled growth, its difficult to stand-out in such a huge mass, very difficult. There was a time when I was recognized as a good dancer and a good actress too (In almost all social functions I was compelled to perform)! But today the scenario is different. Ab toh mere acting and dance ko shayad kutta bhi dana na dale :P (thanks to all the reality shows and the up-coming artists, people hardly find me entertaining anymore.)

Same happened with my writing skills. Lately, I came across some exceptional writers, which quite shook my confidence. I became dubious whether I would be able to make my mark in the writing-world. With so many better writers in the pipeline, would I be able to flow till the end? Do my capabilities match my goal? Surrounded with uncertainties, the dream which I was clear about became blur. But then I chose to switch to those mails and comments complimenting my writings. I chose to talk to people and ask for a true vote. And I did get what I wanted! A good review about my writings which shut the door for anymore negative thoughts.

Today the picture is such that the pre-un-common things have turned common! With handicapped people also doing exceptional hip-hop dance, the usual (though still first-class) dancers aren’t admired to the same extent. I agree to the fact that self-confidence is most important and that following your instincts is the best option. But I am someone for whom success isn’t just restricted to his/her ownself and self-contentment. Being a part of the society, I see success as a feat where the society looks upto you with awe! So even if I find my work good, it does matter to me whether my readers feel the same. That’s one of the primary reasons behind the need of a reviewer.

Out there, there are a massive number of aspirants. Some better, some not. But what about you? Would you make your road through them? I have been constantly told to have a high self-belief and confidence. Agreed! But as a matter of fact you need someone to tell you how strong or real your confidence is! You always need someone, who can tell you what you lack and what you excel in! Someone who boosts your confidence in a proper direction. With a soaring competition and a large group of youth dreaming big, you need someone who brings you in face with the truth! It might happen that the censor board of your life opposes your vision. Who cares whether you take their words to heart or not, whether you choose to believe them or not, but atleast you would know the other side of the coin.

I belong to a breed of people who find difficult to judge their own work. So yes… with a crowd of admirers, I do need a set of good-encouraging critics, the truth-tellers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment