Thursday 2 April 2015

THIS IS HOW I GOT MY DREAM JOB.

“That girl, you know, she is JP Morgan placed. She must have done something really great man. Coder she would be!” I hear juniors murmuring when I pass by. And every day I meet people who have so many adjectives to describe me, which I don’t think are even meant for me! Yesterday, I met a girl who literally called me a celeb! And I went Woah! Hold on. I need to get this straight!

So, what made me get this dream job, a ‘big’ post in the committee I work, ‘mind blowing’ grades and so much of ‘fame’? (Few of the adjectives I have to bear with in those conversations of “Oh! Can you tell us how did you get into JPMC?”)

There is a simple, very simple rule, just do what is right, things automatically fall in place!

Keep the desire to learn. I wasn’t some coder when I chose IT engineering as my career. But in the process of my graduation, I made sure, I knew what I was doing. Ultimately, I was in love with my subject! Don’t be an engineer just for the sake of it. Running behind marks will never fetch you anything in the long run. Knowledge will. Urge yourself to keep studying new things.

Work hard. Put in sincere efforts. Whatever responsibilities you take up, small or big, make sure you are giving your best. Yes there are easy ways out; simple, easy and quick ways. But do you think you will always find one? And what are we going to do with those shortcuts?! Make no memories, face no hurdle, do no struggle and worse- never build the confidence, that yes, I CAN do it!

Expand your network. Make friends. Seniors, juniors or people of your batch. The more you listen to ideas of people of different mind sets, the more it helps you mould your way of thinking. Elders have experience, young ones have ideas, get both of it and make most of it!

Convert failures into your learning experience. A lot many times it has happened that I couldn’t get what I wished for. But I never believed in cribbing about past. The lifetime of any moment is just that moment. We can never change what has happened. Sometimes someone else is going to do bad to you, and at times your own decision will backfire. But then that is life! So just find the best out of every bad experience. Learn. Evolve. Set new goals and start afresh!

Be humble. Don’t let power corrupt you. Humility is the best way to win hearts. You earn respect automatically. Being down to earth, in spite of power is the sign of a great leader. The day you lose your humility, demean others, dominate people, it is the beginning of your downfall.

Be a team player, who can lead. You have to learn to work in a team and take along everyone with you. But try to be a leader from day one; if not someone else, lead your own self. Be someone who is an inspiration for others. Build credibility among your colleagues. Once that is done, you are sure to grow within any organisation.

Have reasons for every decision. Yes we have finally grown up enough to decide for ourselves. Decide whether it is job or post-graduation, grades are important or extra-curricular, you might choose the person you want to be with for the whole of your life and many more. At this crucial stage of our life, it is very important to make sure we take right step ahead and have proper justification for it. Don’t get influenced by your peers and seniors or even juniors. Every person has a story with him which you won’t be aware of, so something that worked for him won’t necessarily work for you. Get away with the kiddish attitude of “Are, chill maar.. ho jaega sab.” Because life would no more be easy, you would need a practical, broad minded and reasoned approach for every walk.

They say, it is best to learn from the experience of others, I hope this helps. Because you don’t have to be a ‘celeb’, a ‘topper’, a ‘coder’ to realize your dream, you only need the right approach towards life!

27 comments:

  1. Good one Manali... I am a great fan of ur writing... Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very mature one indeed. You have got what you deserved. And by doing this now you are actually setting up a good example for your juniors. I have seen the entire journey very closely so i can relate well. You always outpour your thoughts by your writing. So Keep writing and keep enlightening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very enlightened after reading this.. Manali it was helpful in some way.. i'll surely imbibe some of your thought's in me.. Thankyou :)

      Delete
    2. I am happy thatbi could help you out! All the best!!

      Delete
  3. Very nice writing..... It really inspires the person who want to be successful as you......thumbs up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome manali....this will definitely help me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful article Manu. Right from our childhoods u have always been the person whom we can look after or follow for that matter. I have learnt so many things from you and i still continue to learn. School is the period when we start having our own distinctions between right and wrong and m glad i met you in that crucial period.
    Your first fan may be ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI MANU.....I KNOW I AM WRITING OR COMMENTING AFTER A LONG GAP.... THOUGH DISTANCED FROM YOU...BUT IT IS SAID NAA.AS LONG AS WE SHARE THE SAME SKY YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART FOREVER...MY SCHOOL BESTIE I MISSED YOU ALOT.....I ALWAYS READ UP YOUR ARTICLES OVER AND OVER AND KEEP YOUR ARTICLES AS A TREASURE STILL..SINCE SCHOOL DAYS!!MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad Akshata to hear from you through the blog. Thanks a lot for the appreciation. Miss you too.

      Delete
  7. Manali you have really inspired everyone..Keep up the good work and All d Best for ur future:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I am glad I could.. Thank you for your wishes! :)

      Delete
  8. Manali I remember you were siting tensed behind my seat at the time of Igate recruitment drive in your college. Heartly congratulations for getting selected in JP Morgan. By the way I am also placed in Polaris Financial technology.
    All the best for your future carrer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! All the best to you too! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! All the best to you too! :)

      Delete
    3. You were tensed for Igate? When did that happen?

      Delete
  9. Awesome one ma'am. A great inspiration for your juniors like us

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://docmomma.blogspot.in/2017/08/china-day-5.html?showComment=1501651175440#c8025688353772346728

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, nice post it is very useful information. It is really useful for every one who wants to know about the Local Business Search Engines. I am really impressed to read it. You wrote everything in manner and useful ways.
    Good work. Keep up. Thanks for sharing...!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete