Sunday 18 July 2010

MY JOURNEY AS A WRITER...

I still very well remember it was 11th November, 2009, when I wrote my first story. And the topic was, “A Struggling Writer”. I started with it, knowing that it is a very tough story to weave. And I failed in my first attempt. I could write only one and half a page!  But people appreciated that short-incomplete write up so much that I was bound to take up the laptop again and try some other story. My next attempt was, “The Watchman Of An Old-Age Home” and I was thrilled to see the kind of response I got for my first ever story! Those words of appreciation became words of motivation and from there on began my journey… MY JOURNEY AS A WRITER…


                            With time, not only did my number of articles increased but people liking my writings also began to sum up. I then decided to start writing my own blog. And with every new comment on my blog-articles, my confidence rose. Few of my articles turned out so good that people became my fan! I later got an offer to write for an e-magazine called "21 FOOLS" (http://www.21fools.com/), as a guest writer, that in itself was quite a big achievement! Then came a point when couple of my articles got published in a local newspaper and thereon the number of my admirers multiplied all the more. Getting a fan following at an age of 16, for me is a big thing!

                            My writings have taught me a lot, they have given me a lot. When I look back I see a great transition from Manali-a reader to Manali-a writer..! I just thought of jotting down what all happened till now in this journey of around 8 months!

• As said, I have gone through a transition in this period, transition in my personality. Having done alot of serious writings, my level of maturity has increased. I have grown from that bad-badi, phaltu-giri karne wali, thodi-si crack, little manu to a responsible and matured girl. People who know me from childhood can vouch for this, since after reading my articles they were the ones who said- “Manu, tu badi ho gayi re…!”

• Earlier low in confidence, but now my self-confidence and self-belief has increased. Now, even if someone says that I can’t do something, I won’t be easily de-motivated. I mean if a girl who was average in her English till school time, if, gets so much admiration, definitely her confidence would increase. The best thing is to be your own self-motivator.

• I have learnt a very important thing- TAKE PRIDE IN THINGS YOU SHOULD! Being modest is good, but not always and not everywhere. Though, ofcourse we should take pride making sure that we draw a line and not cross it!

• I also realized the hard-work every artist puts up. Earlier I hardly cared about the dialogue-writers, make-up artists, camera-man involved in a film, now I atleast make it a point to read their names. Earlier I would just read the news-article, now I do care and scan for the journalist. Infact, sometimes I even drop them a mail, because now I know how necessary it is for a writer to get words of admiration from the readers. Earlier, never did I read the acknowledgements and dedication section of a novel, now I care to because, now I know the importance of the contribution of every little element! Basically, now I have learnt to appreciate all those worthy people behind the scenes.

• Writing has given me a chance to lighten my heart and mind everytime it got heavy with emotions and thoughts. It has now become a means of relaxing myself! Now writing isn’t just my passion, hobby but its more of a relief-agent!
Infact many times it has so happened that when I pen down my experience and the things I learnt from it, it not only helps people but also me to come out of a trauma.

• Above all, the happiness and pride which all my loved ones felt for me has given me immense satisfaction. After couple of my newspaper articles, everywhere I find people congratulating me and appreciating my writing. I feel on cloud nine!
 Mails, messages, phone-calls, scraps on orkut, comments on facebook all make me so damn delighted! I have got a new name altogether- “writer madam”. From my peers to teachers to family persons to my various admirers all seem to have forgotten my name. “Writer madam” is my new identity! And no need to mention, when recognized by this name, my head is high with pride! (Maan mein laddu phutte rehte hai…)
If bored, I start practicing the way I would give away my autographs. At times I start imagining how I‘ll give my interviews. Sometimes while travelling in a completely packed bus, amid the crowd I see myself to be the shining star. As if its dark everywhere and tick the spot light is on me! (Hehehe, I know I am being filmy, but kya karu yeh kambaqht dil itna khush hai ki aisi behkhi behkhi baatein maan mein aati rehti hai). Yesss, writing has improved my imagination a lot! :D

                              All in all, writing has changed my life completely. I had never been so happy and never felt so honoured! I know writing blogs, articles isn’t a big thing, but the level to which I, as a person, rose is something big! The level of appreciation I have got from my readers is something big. Initially, writing articles just for my blog and then converting them to newspaper articles, is something big. The jump from the common herd to the elite group (I would like to believe so :)) is something big… I just have got a pinch of fame and name in these few months and I am so joyous, I wonder if ever, I succeed in being a better and well-known writer, how would my heart hold on the contentment and happiness!

                             Just one suggestion to my juniors, try out your best to search for something which gives you contentment in your formative years itself. It would help alot in the long run! You never know a small hobby of yours might turn out to be your profession someday. Big things start from small steps! :)

                             My journey as a writer has just begun. So the best way I end this, is by saying…
                                                                 (TO BE CONTINUED)… … …

10 comments:

  1. hey, its rili fab.... complete pro writer style ;)
    its gr8 seein(not practically) u managing all ur 12th stuff n ur writing..
    HATS OFF !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice post.
    I quite agree with that feeling of respect towards writers... that whenever you see a good blog or site, you look for that "About us" section, and you have this urge to interact with that person, etc.... Surely writers need that appreciation, because that's what keeps them going :-)
    I could relate to lots of your feelings...
    All the best Manali, for your writing ventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mukul
    Thank you!

    @ Tanay
    I know, almost every writer wud connect to few of these things! Wish u all the best too! You have a long way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mannu...
    i read it late..u dont know i always said mannu is the most sensible girl in this whole group and what made me to make this comment was a small incident....u remember once when we were practicing dance at malvikas house and some aunty came shouting at me that ny daughetrs will be in front and u said to me "bhaiyya let them be in front..i will move back" that touched me a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^Satyendra bhaiyya rite??

    Oh yes, even I remembr tat incident.. even I was upset tat tme.. but had no choice, sumbdy had to compromise..
    Fortunately or unfortunately I had tat habit frm childhood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Manali,
    I fully agree with your feelings towards writer,and now you also become a writer....i read it late,but i fully inspired from your feelings.from your writing peoples are interact with you & now you become a role model to our young generation & from your writing i become a biggest fan of uuuu...& you have long way to go!!!all the bestttt!!! (TO BE CONTINUED....) from your
    friend,Chetan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks chetan.. glad to hear this.. really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Manali,
    This is completely interesting to read this blog. I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this amazing blog. Keep it up the extremely good writing. I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for the information. I appropriate to your work please visit us Create Best Business Listing Website. I will be sure to come back here.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, This is completely a great blog, very interesting to read this blog. I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this amazing blog. Keep it up the extremely good writing. Thanks for the information. I appreciate your work, please visit the website where one can find many articles and content writing services. I will be sure to come back here.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waoo. This is very informative information for all of us.
    Helpful information for visitors who visit UAE, one of the best-classified website where you will found all types of cars, second-hand cars, used cars for sale or for purchase also.
    thanks for sharing such a good information.

    ReplyDelete